On Friday, June 20, 2014 11:59:26 AM UTC-7, KateYoak wrote:

> I ran into a similar thing with BlackMagic plugin - the one that lets you
> have field-level permissions. Wanted to grant access to financial fields to
> the finance folk - but not the whole company.  I am pondering whether it's
> a good idea to just add a feature to trac to create a group of permissions
> which are not available to TRAC_ADMIN

TRAC_ADMIN is like root on a Linux machine, so it doesn't make sense to
restrict global TRAC_ADMIN from performing actions. If you were on a Linux
machine and you wanted to give users some, but not all, superuser
privileges you would use sudo/sudoers file. Similarly,
TracFineGrainedPermissions are the mechanism you can use to grant
TRAC_ADMIN for specific resources. It accomplishes the same thing you wish
to accomplish by having a set of permissions not available to TRAC_ADMIN.
The approach is different though in that you need to start thinking about
which resources you want to allow a user to perform TRAC_ADMIN on. Some
plugins may need modifications to properly support
TracFineGrainedPermissions, for example:
http://trac-hacks.org/ticket/11826
If you have trouble implementing it, just reply here with your
configuration details and we can work through it.