I need a way to convert usernames to roles everywhere that usernames are
displayed in the application. So, users in my group will be able to see my
name as the ticket reporter/owner, in the change history section, etc but
users in other groups will only see "Developer" (my group name) in those
places. I'm focused on the ticket edit page for now, although my solution
will eventually need to expand to the ticket search and timeline pages, and
probably others. I've found a few references to ITicketManipulator's
prepare_ticket and prepare_ticket_for_render, but neither appear to work in
version 0.12. We are willing to attempt updating to the latest version of
Trac but I'm not sure yet that it's capable of accomplishing our goal
either.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I might go about accomplishing this task?
Is there some centralized ticket object/class that I can tie into, perhaps
override a getter/setter so I can manipulate this data everywhere it is
shown in the application? Can I accomplish this with additional fields and
permission checks, so one group sees the username fields and another sees
corresponding user role fields?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
~Korkki