But the problem is (at least to my understanding) that I'm asked for user
name/password again even (and again ...) before the first request has
succeeded. At least there is no result visible in the browser. Also, I
would expect the Eclipse Mylyn client to go through authentication whenever
it's needed, but also it fails.

To me it still looks as if the Trac server for some reason is not accepting
my credentials as valid, not that I'm not providing them sufficiently often.