Hi Gabriel,

we've been solving similar problems and we did several hacks to speed the
Trac up.

First of all we've restricted the number of comments rendered in the ticket
preview to the last 5. There is also a link to display all comments.
Some plugins are slowing the Trac down. Namely plugins using additional
permission policies like private tickets plugin.

The Windows installation problem is it cannot utilize multithreaded
environment properly. Apache creates one process running on one CPU, the
same is valid with database (we are still on SQLite). The biggest speed up
was caused by extending the SQLite connector cache which was set to 2MB
internally and many concurrent and SQL intensive requests (reports) were
just waiting. The cache size is defined somewhere inside the Trac and to
have it configurable would be highly appreciated.

Of course, Genshi is the main contributor to the slowness in the html
rendering so the Trac 1.4 should be our target version. Unfortunately, many
plugins are not adapted to Jinja and the question is whether it would be
better to wait for Trac 1.5 running under Python 3...

Additionally, reports are great in the Trac  but each query is executed
twice to obtain row count and then the results. This sounds contra
productive.

I would like to do more for the Trac community but my experience is still
not sufficient. I did just some minor hacks from the above mentioned list.

Pavel