Oh, and for the record, I've just tried adding a Milestone without spaces
in its name (I added "Release_Edition_5.6") and after adding that, I was
able to edit it without any problem.  So it's definitely the spaces that
are the issue!

Noting that the database stores the records with spaces rather than the
URL-encoding, presumable at some point in the "Edit" sequence, the
URL-encoding is decoded back to normal ASCII.  Might I be able to get
greater visibility of what's going on at that level by cranking up the
logging?