Hi Michael,

I see, thanks for the explanations! It's indeed curious that the usual
user/group mechanism isn't used here. I will ask the people at DESY what's
going on here in detail, but I heard some time ago that ACLs are being used,
which seem to work in parallel to the usual Linux rights. Maybe tramp doesn't
support this?

Is there a way to tell tramp to simply omit these permission checks? Do you
know which purpose the checks serve? I mean, couldn't tramp just try to open
files and then fail if the OS gives an error?

Cheers
Philipp