James, Thanks for bringing this up.

Hibernate is a *crazy* good product, and is miles above and beyond
Transfer's capabilities. In my opinion, the implementation in CF9 has been
done *exceedingly* well. The only detractor  being that your are tied to a
single datasource (which I'm sure people will work out a way around at some
point). If you want the power of CFORM, with the cache similar to what
Transfer has, it is very simple to plug caching (integrated or
distributed)into the CF9 ORM implementation. Long
term, I fully expect the usage of other CFML ORM's such as Transfer will
diminish.

My own personal work has lead into more Java/CF integration (with some
announcements on that in the future), using Hibernate directly with Java and
CF9 ORM will start to become a large component of that. I'll work on pieces
of Transfer, as I still have a very strong interest in persistence
frameworks, but I also want to follow my interests and the evolution of the
platform.

I know many of you have a large investment in Transfer. The last thing I
want is to leave Transfer as an orphaned product. Starting today, I am
taking an initial round of volunteers to help guide and direct Transfer as
an OSS product. Transfer has a large and vibrant following and I certainly
want to make sure that Transfer continues to be a well supported OSS project
and is able to power ColdFusion applications for a long while to come. If
you are interested in working on Transfer, email me at mark.man...@gmail.com

Finally, I just want to say I am exceedingly proud of Transfer and the
Transfer community.  Going back to 2005 when the project first started,
there is no possible way I could have foreseen where Transfer would have
gone, or the group of incredibly smart people that became part of the
community around it.

I'll admit, the CF9 ORM integration was a bit of a blow emotionally, however
I think it will be a huge boon for the ColdFusion community as a whole. The
work of Adobe's engineers is astounding and the continual evolution of the
ColdFusion platform is something I strongly want to be a part of, regardless
of any blow to my ego.

Regards,

Mark

--