Hi,

> > Our translator has asked whether there is a way of searching for a
> > specific string within the interface.  I've tried using the metadata for
> > a specific string as a search term (e.g. searching on
> > "basic.src#IDD_FIND_DIALOG.RID_OK.okbutton.text") but Pootle doesn't
> > return a result so obviously that field is not part of the search data.
>
> We could look at including this search field, especially if we have
> indexing enabled on the server. For traditional gettext projects this
> might not be so useful, but probably won't harm anyone. Lars, what is
> your opinion on this?

I guess, this would only change the following:
- (indexing-)database size: not critical
- index generation time: only notable during first initialization
- search time: insignificant (as far as I understand lucene and xapian)

Thus the impact of this feature should be acceptable.
(I never tested indexing with big projects, thus I can only suppose these
effects)

> My only concern is that we probably need a more
> powerful search form to avoid unnecessary matches from places where
> people are not interested. Ideally people should be able to specify
> search fields (source, target, notes, locations).

Yes - this enhanced search form would be necessary.
Improvements regarding the search interface are part of one of our Summer of
Code applications. That would help in this case, of course ...

greetings,
Lars