Thanks for your reply, Samuel. :)

On 12/06/2008, at 8:07 PM, Samuel Murray (Groenkloof) wrote:

Clytie Siddall wrote:

I'm finding it difficult to admin projects on Pootle when I have no idea who is doing what. If I download the files for some search-and- replace
offline, when I go to upload them again, I don't know if anyone has
modified the Pootle files meanwhile, and since the OOo Pootle is too
overloaded to handle merge operations, I'm left with overwrite-and- pray, or download-and-diff (which takes time, so then I'm back in exactly the
same situation).

Would it help if there is a column for "time/date last accessed" or
"time/date last modified"?  Then you won't know who accessed the file
last, but you can see if anyone had done so after you did.

Yes, that would help a lot. Can we do that, please?

Also, on locamotion, for example, I can see some files have been partly translated, but in some cases I don't know who has done the work. The PO
files do show Last-Translator and PO-Revision-Date, but that means
manually downloading each file to find this information.

Last-Translator only shows the last translator. If person X does 99% of
the work and person Y does a single string after that, then person Y
will be attributed in Last-Translator, with absolutely no reference to
person X.  I have the same problem with Launchpad/Rosetta -- I can't
figure out who did the bulk of the translations.

True. It is better than no information, but that's about all. With offline PO files, responsible translators also fill in the top half of the header, so you can see all the translators who have worked on the file, but again, that only tells you the year. Someone with "2008" might have modified that file this week, or months ago, if they're the second-last translator.

I believe that admins really need a user list page, where, at the very least, last-login is shown, and more effectively, last files edited. Or
a list page for each project which simply lists each filename,
Last-Translator and PO-Revision-Date.

It could be nice if admins can have access to detailled logs, yes.

Absolutely. For all I know, one or more of the so-far inactive translators on my list may actually be doing some translating on Pootle: I can't tell.

I'm trying to manage a spreadsheet of all the Vietnamese translators registered at the various Pootles (principally locamotion, OpenOffice.org, OLPC, Creative Commons and Sympa), and I'd really like to be able to access data such as:

email address
last-active
file last translated

and even better, also:

total strings translated
files worked on
currently working on

I can get the email addresses by requesting them from the admins, but new people register all the time. Once you assign translation rights, you have no idea, from that point on, what that particular translator is doing.

My team has run into that problem in particular, because we have been asked who did what work on the OpenOffice.org Help translation. I made some notes as we went along, so we have some idea, but we can't say exactly who worked on which file, and how many strings each person translated. Apparently that information is important for attribution or PR.

So language-team admins do need more operational data from Pootle.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n