On Di, 2008-06-17 at 16:08 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> More feedback from the field:

> >> [Clytie] Pootle is widely used offline for translate-a-thons and
> >> other community translation tasks. It was initially designed for
> >> use by third-world communities. How do you think it needs to change
> >> to become more user-friendly?
> >
> > * context
> > * find where you left off
>
> Context: we do now have support for developer comments, but we need
> msgctxt support. How far off is that?

We have supported msgctxt and KDE msgid comments in Pootle for some time
now. If programmers put it in, it will be displayed.

> Find where you left off: I put in a feature request for this quite
> some time back (Last-Used link in Quick Links).
>
> I know you have been working on base-level changes, but we really need
> to start responding to these user-level requests, to keep up with the
> real-life situations where Pootle can be of use.

Start responding? Obviously we haven't gotten to nearly all the
requests, but I'd like to think that we have improved by responding to
several requests.

> I was really taken aback to hear Yama say Pootle wasn't appropriate
> for the OLPC community work. AFAIK, this is exactly the kind of job
> for which Pootle was first designed. Are we losing our disadvantaged-
> community roots?
>
> We need to listen to our community users, and respond to their needs.
> Pootle does not have the world's most user-friendly interface: it
> needs updating. Is any of this likely to occur soon?
>
> if so, I can reassure projects that their needs will be met. If not, I
> think we are going to lose the kind of users we really should be
> supporting.

It is easy to think of things where Pootle can improve (I do it all the
time :-)  However, it is obviously more constructive if the community of
people with interest in seeing Pootle improve, actually help to get
these things happening. We have improved quite a bit in the areas where
people have helped to make it happen. For example, Julen recently
announced the support for displaying an additional language during
translation. It happened when somebody (Sayamindu+Julen) put in some
effort to make it a reality.

Why would anybody want to make a more user-friendly UI rather than just
improving the existing one? Have we been unwelcoming to new
contributors? Please say where we can improve on this front. Obviously
we want things to improve.

Friedel