Hi Wil

That's the expected behaviour. The indexing code in the Toolkit
complains if it finds neither Xapian nor PyLucene.

For the benefit of other readers: we recommend Xapian. If you want to
ensure that Pootle will use Xapian, run

   python -c "import xapian"

on the machine which runs Pootle. If it prints nothing, Xapian is
working correctly and Pootle should use it. If something is printed to
screen, check that Xapian is installed.

Wil: perhaps a better error message should be used? Something like:
"Could not find any suitable indexing engines on your system. Pootle
will still be able to search for text, but it will be slower. We
recommend that you install Xapian."

Cheers
Wynand