On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 08:39:52AM +0200, F Wolff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> conflict2suggest.py  is really for handling conflicts caused by msgmerge
> where the units will contain #-#-#-#-# markers with different
> conflicting translations all indicated in one translations.
>
> This is really unrelated to version control conflicts where the file
> format is (possibly) broken by an update clashing with local changes.

This is interesting. Git supports different merge drivers, so
technically it would be possible to handle the following scenario:

There is version 'A' on the server.

Bob clones the repo, changes string foo to bar, and of course that will
update the "last modified" line in the po file as well.

Alice has the server version of the po file on the Pootle server and
changes baz to blah (+ the "last modified" line, of course).

Bob does a git push (~ svn commit).

Alice can't push, as first she has to merge the server version (it's
like when you have to svn up before svn commit).

At this point all the VCSes will generate a conflict ATM because the
"Last modified" line is modified from A to 1) B (Bob) and 2) C (Alice),
which is a conflict.

The nice thing is that with git, it would be possible to handle this
scenario. The only requirement is a script that takes 3 parameters: the
original version, Bob's one and Alice's one. (3 file paths.) The result
is written to Bob's version.

Now my question: I know git, but I don't know too much about translation
stuff (I'm just a user in the translation world), but I suspect that
such a script is fairly easy to do, provided that what tools are
available already for po files. :)

Can someone please help me what tool could be used to do something like
this? The only tool I know myself is msgmerge, but that takes a
*template* and the old po file (resulting in an updated po file), not 3
po files. Possibly in case of merging po files, you don't need the
original version at all, I guess.

A nice thing would be to make difference in case really just trivial
stuff conflicts (which is not a real conflict in the po file, like the
"last modified line") and when we really have a conflict like "foo"
(original version) is changed to "bar" (Bob) and "baz" (Alice).

Thanks!