To: O.P. and Pootle list

Hi everyone :)

I've included the whole thread, since it shows the experience of the
O.P.

On 27/09/2009, at 9:36 AM, John Francis Lee wrote:

> F Wolff wrote:
>> I'm forwarding this to the list for everybody's benefit.

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Ubuntu 9.04 Python 2.6.2
>>>
>>> I downloaded Pootle-1.3.0-beta3, and started to follow the
>>> directions in
>>> INSTALL. I un'tarred, cd'd and ran
>>>
>>>  python setup.py install
>>>
>>> I actually had to run
>>>
>>>  sudo python setup.py install
>>>
>>> to get it to work.
>>>
>>> The INSTALL file says :
>>>
>>> To run Pootle from sources, just run
>>>
>>>        ./PootleServer
>>>
>>> After installation with setup.py, But :
>>>
>>> j...@ws3:~/Downloads/Pootle/Pootle-1.3.0-beta3$ ./PootleServer
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>  File "./PootleServer", line 30, in <module>
>>>    from pootle import PootleServer
>>>  File
>>> "/home/jfl/Downloads/Pootle/Pootle-1.3.0-beta3/pootle/
>>> PootleServer.py",
>>> line 28, in <module>
>>>    from django.core.handlers.wsgi import WSGIHandler
>>> ImportError: No module named django.core.handlers.wsgi
>>>
>>> Do I have to separately install Django?
>>
>> Yes, you definitely need to install Django separately for Pootle to
>> work.
>>
>> Please go through the whole list of dependencies listed here:
>> http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/installation_1.3beta
>>
>> Keep well
>> Friedel
>>

>> --
>> Recently on my blog:
>> http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/support-afrikaans-google-translate
>>

> Sorry I didn't address the list, just used the address in the INSTALL.
>
> I followed the link you gave me above. I needed to install not only
> Pootle but also :
>
>  Django
>    sudo apt-get install python-django
>
>  Translate Toolkit
>    downloaded translate-toolkit_1.4.0-1_all.deb
>    double clicked it and installed
>
>  Python
>    Ubuntu came with Python 2.6
>    I apparently had installed the -dev package previously
>
>  Xapian
>    sudo apt-get install python-xapian
>    Reading package lists... Done
>    Building dependency tree
>    Reading state information... Done
>    python-xapian is already the newest version.
>    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>
>  PyLucene
>    sudo apt-get install python-PyLucene
>    Reading package lists... Done
>    Building dependency tree
>    Reading state information... Done
>    E: Couldn't find package python-PyLucene
>
>    sudo easy_install PyLucene
>    Searching for PyLucene
>    Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/PyLucene/
>    Couldn't find index page for 'PyLucene' (maybe misspelled?)
>    Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
>    Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/
>    No local packages or download links found for PyLucene
> [...]

Good grief, that looks like one of my Fink installs. "You want this
tiny little package of essential tools? It insists on bringing half a
system with it." (Of course, Fink doesn't phrase it exactly like
that. ;) ) But at least with a package-management system, the
dependencies are installed automatically. You don't need to chase each
one down, club it into insensibility and forcibly thrust it into the
system.

Installing is evidently still a significant problem for people wanting
to use the Translate Tookit and/or Pootle. Are we still working on
some kind of auto-install mechanism?

I remember tripping over that lxml problem at least twice, and I've
been using the Toolkit for quite a while.

Since a big part of our goals is removing barriers to localization,
I'd suggest (if we have the resources) that we also remove barriers to
installing the tools to remove barriers to localization. ;)

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n