Quoting F Wolff (frie...@translate.org.za):

> > When fixinv "endpunc", I noticed that interrogative sentences are
> > mentioned to be wrong as they end with " ?" while English ends with
> > "?". *This* is normal in French as question marks are preceded by a
> > (non-breaking) space. So, if there's an exception system somewhere,
> > this should be added to it.
> >
> > The same stands for ":" translated as " :"
>
> Yes, the tests currently test for "[space]?" instead of "[nbsp]?" as it
> should. I have a patch to do the right thing, but I'm not yet sure about
> the consequences, so I've been postponing this.  How often will
> complaining about "[space]?" actually help a user to fix towards
> "[nbsp]?" rather than just "?" ?   Do all French translators know how to
> type nbsp correctly while translating?

Hmm, tricky. Probably not (nbsp is IIRC traditionnally hard to type in
Windoze, for instance). The best would be testing for
"(space]|[nbsp])?" if that's possible.

> > PS: I fixed "endpunc" but I have doubts whether original strings are
> > really consistent wrt this..:-)
>
> If you find any inconsistencies, please report that.  Several issues
> were corrected in the English before the string freeze, but I realise
> there might still be a few small issues left that we'll want to fix
> soon.

I should go over all these strings, of course. In short, I generally
put a sentence dot for each sentence, that is each string that
includes a verb. Some original strings don't have one.

> > I also don't understand a few "simplecaps" tests such as the error
> > reported against "Calculating translation statistics, this will take a
> > few minutes". I seems this is because I have two sentences while
> > English has only one.
>
> Explanations of all the tests are here:
> http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/pofilter_tests
>
> The case you mention has bad English - it should have been two
> sentences, so I'm sure your translation is better.

Yes, that's apparently a quite common mistake in software texts
(mostly progress bars): "Doing foo, this will bar"....while "Doing
foo" should be a sentence per se, ending with "...".