On Wednesday 17 March 2010 22:36, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Alaa, catch Friedel on this. There was a discussion about this on IRC a
> while back. Some legal implications came up with google data. Can't be
> displayed in a non-google interface, or other sourced texts, etc.

I hope Jacques patch can be included.  Re the terms, the only thing I can find
is:
http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS?hl=en&loc=en

=====
5.3 You agree not to access (or attempt to access) any of the Services by any
means other than through the interface that is provided by Google, unless you
have been specifically allowed to do so in a separate agreement with Google.

5.5 Unless you have been specifically permitted to do so in a separate
agreement with Google, you agree that you will not reproduce, duplicate,
copy, sell, trade or resell the Services for any purpose.
=====

Regarding 5.3, I would have thought that the Google Translate APIs:
http://code.google.com/intl/en/apis/ajaxlanguage/documentation/reference.html
constitute the interface.  Regarding 5.5, Pootle is not actually providing the
translation service.  Am I missing something more specific?

If the Google terms are as restrictive as you suspect, it would be worth
contacting them to confirm this directly.  Not least, it would be worth
publicising the fact that this "service" is tied down to Google.

But if the terms allow Pootle to use the output, then Jacques' patch would be
useful.  Having spent a couple of years working on a (GPLed) Welsh
translator, Google's (closed) translator is actually quite good.  The
downside is that our project has basically had the rug pulled from under it,
so I am not a Google fan (not least because of the directions they seem to be
developing in).  Terms that are as restrictive as you suggest would confirm
this, but perhaps asking them is all we need to do to clarify things?

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

kevindonnelly.org.uk - Welsh and stuff