On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Mason Leung <rhymeje...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We use git for code, the instruction on
> http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/version_control uses svn, and
> we don't have that install.  Is there a way to pull this using git?

Absolutely, Sugar Labs (and at least a few other Pootle users) employ
a git as backend.  Our is technically Gitorious, I think, but it is
close enough.

We employ some fairly simple scripts run as cron jobs that do things
like check the git repo for updated strings and pulls new string that
have been entered, we have another one that generate language packs
nightly for testing, etc. etc.

Maybe looking at those will give you a few ideas.

http://git.sugarlabs.org/pootle-helpers

I'm nott really a git guru, but one of my colleqageus wrote up this
documetnation on how we maintain the interactions between our Pootle
instance and our git repo.  Agian, maybe it will give you some ideas.

If you still have questions after reading that stuff, I may or may not
be able to answer them myself, but perhaps someone else on this list
can, or I can try to pass it along to my git guru, who is a busy guy
and currently bouncing around Peru from village to village as part of
an effort we are collaborating on.

I hope this is helpful, I am sure you can get where you want with a
git back-end.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011