In a message dated 1/25/2002Jim Robson writes:

> Most of our products are analog, both 2 and 4 wire, E-E or E&M. They
> support pulse and DTMF dialing,  Basically a little mix of everything.
> I've
> only been given a week do the comparison between Australia and Part 68.
> So,
> any information on potential problems would be helpful.

Hi Jim:

An authoritative listing of things to look out for would require a more
detailed analysis of your products.  For Australia, there are important but
subtle distinctions that can affect what requirements apply to your specific
product.  For example, TS 004 (or the newer and substantially identical
AS/ACIF S004) for voice telephony contains several requirements for frequency
response and loudness of products that include a handset.  If you do not have
a handset or similar device, you may only be subject to TS 002 (or AS/ACIF
S002).  If your product has switching functions similar to a PBX, it will
likely be subject to TS 003 (or AS/ACIF S003).  Sometimes it is difficult to
ascertain which requirements apply to your product.

If you would like to immerse yourself in the standards themselves, you can
download most of them from the following web site:

http://www.acif.org.au/ACIF/display/metapublist.cfm?page_id=5706&source=482

I suggest that you look at AS/ACIF S002, AS/ACIF S003, AS/ACIF S004, and
AS/ACIF S006.

As pointed out by other list members, the Australian standards scheme is in
transition from the TS xxx series numbering scheme to the AS/ACIF xxxx
numbering scheme, representing a change in the organizations responsible for
standards development.  Some of the new AS/ACIF series have been formally
adopted, while others are still pending.  Fortunately, there is little
technical difference between the two versions at this time, so either version
can be used to get yourself oriented.

Following is a short hand list of some things to watch out for in each
standard, when trying to get a "typical" FCC Part 68 design approved:

AS/NZS 3260 or AS/NZS 60950
   * creepage/clearance (basic insulation required, may not be provided in
older Part 68 designs)
   * hipot and surge testing of isolation barrier

AS/ACIF S002 (basic analog PSTN access)
   * return loss
   * DC V-I
   * pulse dialing

AS/ACIF S003 (switching equipment such as PBXs)
   * gain linearity to +3dBm
   * absolute loss
   * frequency response
   * DTMF tone detection
   * return loss
   * longitudinal conversion loss for SLIC ports
   * ringing signals for SLIC ports

AS/ACIF S004 (handset telephony)
   * send and receive frequency response
   * send, receive, and sidetone loudness

AS/ACIF S006 (leased lines)
   * out of band signal power
   * longitudinal signal power

I do not know if Australia uses E&M signaling, but even if they do, your
application may be exempt from telecom testing if the E&M port will not be
connected to the network.  I do not recognize the "E-E" port type that you
refer to, so I can not comment on that.

I hope the above info helps you get started.  I'm not sure what you are
supposed to come up with in one week, but hopefully it is only a list of
things to watch out for.  To determine whether the above items are actually
an issue for your products, or if some other requirements not listed are an
issue, you would need to perform a fairly detailed design review and some
preliminary testing.

I suggest that you warn your management that Australia's requirements are far
more comprehensive and rigorous than those in FCC Part 68.  Now that the RTTE
directive has relaxed the European regulations somewhat, I think Australia
may have the dubious honor of having the most restrictive technical
requirements in the world for analog PSTN equipment.  Many of the Australian
requirements exceed what the FCC and the European Union would consider to be
"essential requirements."  Hopefully, with the ACIF industry group taking
over the standards writing process in Australia, we may see some
simplification of the Australian requirements in the next few years.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848