Richard and Joe:

You need to be careful when considering the working voltage between TNV and
SELV.  For the US, you can use the method outlined by Richard.  However, for
Australia and Europe, there is a requirement to isolate the network (TNV) from
protective earth, unless the equipment is professionally installed, or unless
the equipment (and all other equipment plugging into it) does not rely on
protective earthing for safety.  This requirement is SUPPLEMENTARY INSULATION
for a PRIMARY CIRCUIT.  The WORKING VOLTAGE would then be taken to be 250Vrms
(or is it 230 or 240?) for Europe and Australia, as this is the mains voltage.
This is all outlined in clause 6.3 of EN60950 and AS/NZS 3260.  UL 1950 and IEC
950 amd. 4 (which Europe has adopted into EN60950, but I always here
conflicting things on when you can apply amd. 4 to Europe) only require a 1.0kV
barrier from the network to earth.  Sweden does not accept this however, even
in amd. 4.  In short, if you really want to be international, you will need to
make sure you have a TNV to SELV transformer that provides this supplementary
barrier for a 250Vrms working voltage as this will provide the required barrier
from protective earth to the network.  The reasons for this are outlined in
clause 4.4 of EN 41003.  (Also, make sure all the creepage distances on your
board comply with this between earth to TNV, and SELV (if your SELV is relying
on protective earth in any way) to TNV.

The distances would be 2.5mm creepage, and 2.0 mm for clearance.  You can, of
course lower the creepage to 1.8 or 1.3 mm depending on the material group, but
be careful as in the vast majority of cases your minimum creepage cannot be
less than your minimum clearance (2.0mm).   See note 2 for table 6.

So, Joe, is your head spinning yet?  Hope this helps.

Mel Pedersen                    Midcom, Inc.
Homologations Engineer          Phone:  (605) 882-8535
mpeder...@midcom.anza.com       Fax:    (605) 886-6752