WELCOME TO IWPR’S ICTY - TRIBUNAL UPDATE No. 599, May 1, 2009

KOSOVO ALBANIAN “OPENED CHAMPAGNE” ON NEWS OF NATO BOMBING  Witness says he
left his Kosovo home out of fear of Serbian forces’ attacks, not because of
NATO campaign.  By Simon Jennings in The Hague

WITNESS DENIES LYING TO COURT  He dismisses defence claims that he fabricated
parts of his statement.  By Goran Jungvirth in Zagreb

DEFIANT GLAVAS PROTESTS INNOCENCE IN CLOSING STATEMENT  As trial ends, Croatian
politician reiterates his claim that proceedings against him were politically
motivated.  By Goran Jungvirth in Zagreb

VUKOVAR APPEALS VERDICT IMMINENT  Prosecutors are seeking tougher sentences
against former Yugoslav army officers, while defence has called for acquittals.
 By Simon Jennings in The Hague

**** NEW

NEW VACANCIES AVAILABLE http://iwpr.net/vacancies

KURT SCHORK AWARDS: 2009 CALL FOR ENTRIES http://iwpr.net/kurtschork09

BECOME A FAN OF IWPR ON FACEBOOK: http://iwpr.net/facebook

**** IWPR RESOURCES

INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE/ICTY PROGRAMME HOME: http://iwpr.net/icty

IWPR COMMENT: http://iwpr.net/comment

**** www.iwpr.net
electronic publications at:
http://www.iwpr.net/index.php?apc_state=henh&s=s&m=p

GIVE TO IWPR: IWPR is wholly dependent upon grants and donations. For more
information about how you can support IWPR go to:
http://www.iwpr.net/donate.html

**** www.iwpr.net

KOSOVO ALBANIAN “OPENED CHAMPAGNE” ON NEWS OF NATO BOMBING

Witness says he left his Kosovo home out of fear of Serbian forces’ attacks,
not because of NATO campaign.

By Simon Jennings in The Hague

An ethnic Albanian testifying in the war crimes trial of a former Serbian
police chief this week challenged the defence argument that Kosovo Albanians
fled the province in 1999 due to NATO airstrikes, rather than as a result of
Serbian attacks.

“No one in Kosovo feared the NATO bombing,” the witness told the Hague
tribunal. “We could have been a target but we did not fear. In fact, when we
heard [the] NATO bombing [had] started against military targets, my wife and I
opened champagne and had a drink even though it was against our religion.”

Edison Zatriqi was called by Hague prosecutors to give evidence in the trial of
ex-police commander Vlastimir Djordjevic about events in his home city of Pec
in western Kosovo on March 27 and 28, 1999. It is alleged that on these dates,
Serbian forces set the homes of ethnic Albanians on fire and forced them to
leave the town.

According to the indictment against Djordjevic, ethnic Albanians living in Pec
were driven out of their homes,  “forced to get on buses or trucks and were
driven to the town of Pizren and then on towards the Albanian border”.

Prosecutors say that such actions were part of a “systematic campaign”
conducted by forces from Serbia and the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, FRY, in
1999 that led to the murder and deportation of around 800,000 Albanians from
Kosovo.

The defence has questioned previous witnesses testifying in the trial – which
started in January 2009 – about whether Albanians fled Kosovo in fear of Serb
shelling or because of the NATO bombing campaign, launched on March 24, 1999.
“We knew that [the NATO bombing] was a good thing,” Zatriqi told judges this
week.

The witness said that he was at home with his family on the morning of March 27
when Serb forces began shelling Pec, and was able to watch the attack.

“My house is in such a position that I was always able to see the direction
from which shells were fired,” he said. “The shells were falling on the roof of
my house.”

The attack forced him and his family, who were hiding in the basement, to leave
their home, he said.

“One of the reasons I left my house was the shelling itself,” he told the
court. “[Judging] by the blast and explosions, I can say it lasted for at least
two to three hours.”

Zatriqi also said that he saw the Serb army shelling an area of town inhabited
“exclusively by Albanians” and described the extent of the damage done to Pec
during the spring of 1999.

“Eighty per cent of houses were damaged or burnt in [Pec], among them my house,
too,” he said.

In the early hours of the morning of March 27, the witness said that from his
house, he saw a police vehicle stop outside and a policeman talking to his
neighbours before, an hour later, gun fire broke out.

“It was not my neighbours [who were shooting] but [the] persons who came out of
the minivan,” he said, describing how his house came under fire. “They were
dressed in police uniforms.”

Having left for his aunt’s house during the shelling on that day, the witness
said that he and his family were then forced to leave the town the following
day.
“At the junction [on the way out of town], there were police, armed police, who
directed us towards Montenegro. There was no choice for us,” he said

“People left Pec because of fear for [their] lives and not willingly,” he
added, when questioned by the prosecutor about the reason for the ethnic
Albanians’ flight.

During his cross examination of the witness, Djordjevic’s lawyer, Veljko
Djurdjic, sought to show that what was going on in Pec was part of an armed
conflict between Serbian forces and the Kosovo Liberation Army, KLA, rather
than unwarranted Serb aggression.

He repeatedly asked the witness about shooting coming from the area of town
that Zatriqi alleged was shelled by Serb tanks.

“I could see very clearly that no fire came from [that neighbourhood],” replied
the witness.
Djurdjic also persisted in trying to sow doubt on the witness’ testimony by
highlighting inconsistencies between a written statement he had produced as
evidence and what he actually said in court.

While the witness had stated previously that he was in his basement on March
27, in court, he had talked about moving around his house while watching the
shelling that day.

The witness clarified that it was his family who remained in the basement,
prompting the presiding judge to reprimand Djurdjic for his constant
questioning.

“You have got all the facts from the witness, so you are pressing on [with this
line of questioning] for no purpose,” Australian judge, Kevin Parker, told
Djurdjic.

Another witness from Pec, Ndrec Konaj, also testified this week about an exodus
from the city during March 1999, saying he and his family were forced to leave
their home.

He told judges how, while leaving through the town’s streets, he, his uncle and
his wife and two daughters were stopped by a group of nine men who pulled up in
two cars and separated him and his uncle from his wife and daughters.

“They ordered me to walk in the direction of Montenegro. They said, ‘You have
asked [Bill] Clinton to come so he should come and rescue you,’ and they cursed
our mothers,” said the witness.

The men hit him on the chin and his uncle with a rifle but before letting them
on their way, Konaj said.

He explained how his family then joined crowds of people on the streets who had
also been evicted from their homes by Serb forces and ordered to go to
Montenegro.

Asked by the prosecutor who had ordered the people to leave, he replied, “The
police, the army, the paramilitaries. You could not tell who exactly but the
same people who had expelled us from our home.”

As they left, they were sent to the centre of town and ordered onto buses bound
for the Albanian border, he said.

 “In the middle [of the city] there [were] lorries, trucks and buses [which]
people got on to and they were sent in the direction of Albania,” Konaj told
judges.

Asked who was on the streets during March 27 and 28, Konaj replied, “In the
main street [there were] seven or eight policemen, military men, dressed in
blue uniforms and they told us where to go.”

The witness said that when he and his family were dropped near the Albanian
border, one of the Serb bus drivers told him to leave Kosovo.
“He said, ‘This is the right road to Albania... This is not your country, this
is Serbia. Go to your own country, go straight to Albania,’” Konaj said.

He also confirmed the prosecution’s allegations that fleeing Albanians were
told to leave their driving licences and identity cards at the border. He told
judges that he and his family were told to throw their documents into a wooden
box before crossing the border.

“I pretended to throw my identity card too, but I did not throw it and have it
still to this day,” the witness told the court.

Djurdic used his cross-examination to try to shed doubt on Konaj’s testimony by
pointing out minor discrepancies between two separate statements he had given
to prosecution’s investigators in 1999 and in 2001.

Both witnesses who gave evidence this week have testified at the tribunal about
events in Kosovo in 1999 before, in the trial of the former Serb president
Milan Milutinovic.

Milutinovic was acquitted of any responsibility for crimes in Kosovo in
February this year, but his five co-defendants, including senior military and
police generals, received stiff sentences following convictions on several
counts.

The testimony of both witnesses in the Milutinovic trial was entered into
evidence against Djordjevic this week.

Simon Jennings is an IWPR reporter in The Hague.

WITNESS DENIES LYING TO COURT

He dismisses defence claims that he fabricated parts of his statement.

By Goran Jungvirth in Zagreb

A former Bosnian Serb officer giving evidence against former colleagues and
superior officers at the Hague tribunal this week denied defence claims that he
lied during his testimony under pressure from the prosecution.

Momir Nikolic, who came to a plea arrangement with prosecutors at the Hague
tribunal in 2003, was sentenced to 20 years on appeal  in 2006 after being
convicted of crimes against humanity for his role in the 1995 Srebrenica
massacre.

The witness, who was called to the stand by judges to give evidence in the
trial of seven Bosnian Serb officials, continued to testify this week, giving
his account of how he came to learn of Bosnian Serb plans to ethnically cleanse
the eastern Bosnian town.

Ljubisa Beara, Vujadin Popovic, Ljubomir Borovcanin, Vinko Pandurevic, Drago
Nikolic, Radivoj Miletic and Milan Gvero are charged with the expulsion of the
Muslim population of Srebrenica and Zepa and the murder of all able-bodied men
captured from Srebrenica. Beara, Borovcanin, Popovic, Nikolic and Pandurevic
are accused of genocide in relation to the massacre.

Last week, defence lawyers accused Momir Nikolic, a former security and
intelligence chief for the Bratunac Brigade of the Bosnian Serb Army, VRS, of
lying in his testimony in order to secure the plea agreement he reached with
the prosecution six years ago.

Popovic’s lawyer, Zoran Zivanovic, asked him if he had introduced certain facts
into a statement given to prosecutors “to play up to the prosecution office in
order to successfully conclude [his] plea agreement”.

This week, Jelena Nikolic, the lawyer of  Drago Nikolic, accused Momir Nikolic
of “[making] up parts of [his] statement under the prosecution’s pressure”.

She specifically referred to the part of Momir Nikolic’s testimony in which he
said that while in Zvornik, he received orders from Beara, then chief of
security of the VRS main staff, to “transfer the imprisoned Muslims from
Bratunac to territory under the Zvornik brigade and then to execute them”.

The witness said during his appearance in court, and in a statement he gave to
prosecutors, that he then transmitted these orders to Drago Nikolic, then chief
of security of the Zvornik brigade.

The defence lawyer attempted to prove that the witness wasn’t in Zvornik at
that particular time.

She confronted him with photographs of the so-called Standard factory – a
building where the Zvornik brigade command was stationed – and then drew on the
fact that he said he couldn’t remember details about the building or
conversations he said he had there to argue that he was lying about having been
there.

However, Momir Nikolic denied all suggestions that he had given false testimony.

He then said he wanted to take responsibility for his role in the events at
Srebrenica, which he claimed was limited to helping to force the Bosniak
population out of the enclave.

“I thought that I would take on a part of the responsibility… [for] what
happened with the forcible transfer [of Bosniaks]… From my position [in the
VRS] I helped this happen,” he said.

During his testimony, he elaborated on his involvement, admitting that he took
care of the logistics for the detention of some 1,000 men in the town of
Bratunac.

However, he said that he took no responsibility for killings or mistreatment of
prisoners.

“I never accepted that I played any major role in the expulsion [of Bosniaks
from Srebrenica], that I participated in planning and organising… that, God
forbid, I killed or ill-treated someone. I didn’t do that and no one can pin
this on me,” he said.

Momir Nikolic told judges that the initial Bosnian Serb plan of attack on
Srebrenica, then a United Nations-designated safe haven, “was to reduce [the
size of the safe haven, which covered the entire enclave, to the area
immediately around the town]”.

However, finding no serious resistance, the Bosnian Serbs took it over
entirely, he said.

When Judge O-Gon Kwon asked him if it would have been possible for Bosniak
civilians to remain in Srebrenica at that time, Momir Nikolic said no.

He explained that even though the Bosnian Serb leadership had proclaimed that
Bosniaks could stay in the area, this would have been too dangerous.

“Practically, there wasn’t any possibility that anyone could stay there. There
was so much hate and so much blood by then… Practically no one could stay
there,” he said.

After Momir Nikolic concluded his testimony, the prosecution called to the
stand Dusan Janc, a former Slovenian police inspector, who delivered a report
on the exhumation of mass graves and the identification of victims.

The trial continues.

Goran Jungvirth is an IWPR-trained reporter in Zagreb.

DEFIANT GLAVAS PROTESTS INNOCENCE IN CLOSING STATEMENT

As trial ends, Croatian politician reiterates his claim that proceedings
against him were politically motivated.

By Goran Jungvirth in Zagreb

The war crimes trial of Croatian politician Branimir Glavas and five others
wound to a close after almost four years this week, with the main defendant
Glavas protesting his innocence and saying he is “a victim of political
persecution”.

The six suspects, on trial at Zagreb County Court, are accused of involvement
in two cases of war crimes against ethnic Serb civilians in the eastern city of
Osijek in 1991. In the so-called Garage case, victims were tortured and killed
in the garage of an Osijek municipal building, while in the Duct Tape case,
eight men were gagged with duct tape and shot by the Drava river.

The proceedings have been halted several times, initially because of the
resistance of Glavas, a powerful member of parliament from Slavonia known for
his fiery nationalist rhetoric, then as a result of other defendants seeking
adjournments for medical reasons.

Glavas, the highest-ranking Croatian official to have been indicted for war
crimes, was one of the founders of the Croatian Democratic Union, HDZ, party
that ruled Croatia in the 1990s. He was expelled in 2005 after clashing with
party leader and Prime Minister Ivo Sanader over Sanader’s pro-European
policies.

True to his firebrand reputation, Glavas has played up to the gallery and media
during his trial, with flamboyant rhetoric that frequently got him in hot water
with judges.

When one witness said during his testimony that Glavas had given him an order
and even provided the bullets to kill one of the victims, the defendant said he
“was lying”.

Then, in his closing statement on April 27, Glavas accused the HDZ of launching
the trial against him as revenge for him having founded a successful regional
party, the Croatian Democratic Alliance of Slavonia and Baranja, HDSSB.

He also argued that the prosecution had failed to prove his guilt; that the
indictment against him was fabricated and that he was “a victim of political
persecution orchestrated by police director Vladimir Faber, chief state
prosecutor Mladen Bajic and the media”.

“The media condemned me, without trial, as a war criminal,” he said, noting
that non-governmental organisations monitoring the trial had chosen not to
speak up about the bias against him.

Arguing that his former party had used the media to exert pressure on the
judiciary, he showed as evidence to the court the cover of a Croatian daily,
which bore the headline, “Sanader: Glavas No Longer Exists”.

He also accused police chief Faber of “fabricating evidence” and of “sending
Chief Prosecutor Bajic false reports about witnesses in the trial receiving
threats”.

He accused Faber of being “a shallow ‘milicajac’ (or militiaman – a Serbian
term for a policeman, which is used as a derogatory term against Croatian
police) who will end up in a place reserved for such unsavoury characters”.
This  earned himself a warning from presiding Judge Zeljko Horvatovic to stop
his insults.

Glavas also accused the authorities of “failing to protect his underage son
from media reports about the arrest of his father”. He became emotional as he
told the court that his son “has suffered because he was called the son of a
war criminal”.

He concluded by saying that he had made no mistakes during the war and was
proud of his actions. “If defending your own country makes you a war criminal,
then I am one,” he said.

Prosecutors maintain that in the Garage case, Glavas was guilty because as head
of the National Defence Secretariat and de-facto commander of a military unit,
he was aware that civilians were arrested and tortured, yet did nothing to
prevent the atrocities and punish those responsible, and instead tried to cover
them up.

In the Duct Tape case, prosecutors said they proved that Glavas and Ivica
Krnjak, former commander of the Independent Uskok Company, ordered the accused
members of the unit, Dino Kontic, Tihomir Valentic and Zdravko Dragic, to
arrest, torture and execute eight Serb civilians on the bank of the Drava. The
orders were issued via the fourth defendant, Gordana Getos Magdic, prosecutors
say.

The indictment in the Duct Tape case was based on statements made by Getos
Magdic and Dragic to the Osijek police, in which they admitted their
involvement in the kidnapping of civilians. Getos Magdic named Glavas as the
person who ordered the systematic killings of Serbian civilians from Osijek,
while Dragic admitted that he had attempted to kill Radoslav Ratkovic, the only
person to have survived the executions by the Drava.

The two accused later withdrew their statements, saying they were pressured to
make them by the police. However, both Croatia’s Supreme Court and the local
trial chamber found that their original statements were not made under duress
and should be included in the trial records.

“During the interrogation of Gordana Getos-Magdic and Zdravko Dragic, the
Osijek police officers acted professionally and there was no mistreatment or
extortion of statements,” the court council concluded.

After Glavas finished his statement, the five other accused spoke to the court
pleading their innocence and asking for an exonerating verdict because the
trial “has not proven” that they had committed any of the criminal acts in the
indictment.

In its seven-hour closing statement last week, the prosecution said that
despite the passage of time and a lack of physical evidence – which it said was
down to institutional failures to preserve this – it had proven that all six
accused were guilty of “systematically planned and organised crimes” against
civilians who were in no way connected with hostile activities against Croatia
by its rebel Serb minority in the Krajina region. They demanded guilty verdicts
for all and prison sentences ranging from five to 20 years.

The court is due to deliver its verdict on May 8.

Goran Jungvirth is an IWPR-trained reporter in Zagreb.

VUKOVAR APPEALS VERDICT IMMINENT

Prosecutors are seeking tougher sentences against former Yugoslav army
officers, while defence has called for acquittals.

By Simon Jennings in The Hague

Appeals judges will give their judgement next week in the case of two former
Yugoslav People’s Army, JNA, officers convicted for their role in the execution
of nearly 200 prisoners of war following the fall of the Croatian town of
Vukovar in 1991.

Mile Mrksic and Veselin Sljivancanin were sentenced by the Hague tribunal to
jail terms of 20 and five years respectively in September 2007. Both the
prosecution and defence appealed the verdicts and judges will deliver their
decision on May 5.

Mrksic, a JNA colonel, was found guilty of three counts of violations of the
laws or customs of war, including the murder, torture and cruel treatment of
194 Croat and other non-Serb prisoners at a farm near Ovcara on November 20 and
21, 1991.

The victims were transported by bus from Vukovar Hospital to Ovcara following
the town’s capture by JNA and Serb paramilitary forces.

Veselin Sljivancanin, a major in the JNA who served under Mrksic, was convicted
of aiding and abetting the cruel treatment of the prisoners. Judges ruled at
trial that Sljivancanin failed to allocate enough JNA guards to protect the
prisoners and prevent local Serb paramilitaries abusing and mistreating them.

A third defendant who faced trial alongside the former officers, Miroslav
Radic, was found not guilty after judges found there was no evidence he was
aware of the killings taking place at Ovcara.

Trial judges dismissed all charges of crimes against humanity against the
defendants because it ruled that all of the 194 victims identified were serving
members of military forces rather than civilians.

Prosecutors appealed the sentences handed down to Mrksic and Sljivancanin on
October 29, 2007, describing them as “manifestly inadequate”.

They say that judges erred in identifying all the victims as non-civilian, and
have called for stiffer sentences for both defendants. However, they did not
appeal Radic’s acquittal.

Mrksic and Sljivancanin, meanwhile, are seeking acquittal on all charges.

The appeals hearing took place on January 21 and 23, 2009.

On April 9, the appeals chamber issued a decision ordering Sljivancanin, who
has been on provisional release from custody in The Hague since December 2007,
to return for next week’s judgement.

The trial judgement handed down on September 27, 2007, was met with huge
criticism in Croatia where the sentences were seen as too lenient for what was
the gravest crime to be committed on Croatian soil since the Second World War.

The trial of the defendants, the so-called Vukovar Three, began in October 2005
and concluded in March 2007. A total of 88 witnesses were heard and around 800
pieces of evidence were presented. At trial, prosecutors sought life sentences
for all three defendants.

Simon Jennings is an IWPR reporter in The Hague.

**** www.iwpr.net

ICTY - TRIBUNAL UPDATE, which has been running since 1996, details events and
issues at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, ICTY,
in The Hague.

These weekly reports, produced by IWPR's human rights and media training
project, seek to contribute to regional and international understanding of the
war crimes prosecution process.

The opinions expressed in ICTY - Tribunal Update are those of the authors and
do not necessarily represent those of the publication or of IWPR.

ICTY - Tribunal Update is supported by the European Commission, the Dutch
Ministry for Development and Cooperation, the Swedish International Development
and Cooperation Agency, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and other funders.
IWPR also acknowledges general support from the Ford Foundation.

ICTY - TRIBUNAL UPDATE: Editor-in-Chief: Anthony Borden; Managing Editor: Yigal
Chazan; Senior Editor: John MacLeod; Editor: Caroline Tosh; Project Manager:
Merdijana Sadovic; Translation: Predrag Brebanovic, and others.

IWPR PROJECT DEVELOPMENT AND SUPPORT: Executive Director: Anthony Borden; Chief
Programme Officer: Mike Day.

**** www.iwpr.net

IWPR is an international network of four organisations which are governed by
boards of senior journalists, peace-building experts, regional specialists and
business professionals.

IWPR builds democracy at the frontlines of conflict and change through the
power of professional journalism. IWPR programmes provide intensive hands-on
training, extensive reporting and publishing, and ambitious initiatives to
build the capacity of local media. Supporting peace-building, development and
the rule of law, IWPR gives responsible local media a voice.

IWPR - Africa, P.O. Box 3317, Johannesburg 2121
Tel: +2 711 268 6077

IWPR - Europe, 48 Gray’s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LT, UK
Tel: +44 20 7831 1030

IWPR – United States, 1325 G Street, NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20005,
United States
Tel: +1 202 449 7717

1515 Broadway, 11th Floor, New York, New York 10036, United States
Tel: +1 202 903 1073

Stichting IWPR Nederland, Eisenhowerlaan 77 K, 2517 KK Den Haag, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 70 338 9016

For further details on this project and other information services and media
programmes, go to: www.iwpr.net

ISSN 1477-7940 Copyright © 2009 The Institute for War & Peace Reporting

**** www.iwpr.net