For me it was 1993 using Slackware with a .91 kernel. A bazillion floppies (or maybe 35) as Brad said. Had to customize/rebuild the kernel a lot. Making uucp work was my first goal as I recall. This was on a 40MHz AMD 386. Printing was an additional adventure, and sound another one. I eventually learned to go with the flow so when it came time to use ethernet I simply bought one of the blessed cards and followed somebody's cookbook and so that was mercifully straight forward.

But at the time at work I had hardware coming out of my ears. My main (Encore) machine had four 50Mhz Motorola 88110 processors running BSD Unix. So, much like Lars (fantastic dry humor) put it, I mostly used the home Linux system to access usenet with uucp. :-)

Pete