Hi Alissa,

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 3:28 PM, Alissa Cooper <ali...@cooperw.in> wrote:
> Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-trill-vendor-channel-00: Discuss

> DISCUSS:
>
> I'm having trouble understanding what function this specification serves given
> that the RBridge Channel Protocol registry has a range reserved already for
> private use and that the document doesn't specify any requirements around
> vendor-specific protocol semantics. So any implementation of this that needs
> interoperate with another implementation will need to do so according to some
> specification generated by the vendor, and that specification can select a
> code
> point from the private use range. What does allocating a single code point for
> all such vendor-specific protocols achieve, aside from specifying a structured
> way of conveying the OUI/CID (which seems superfluous anyway for multiple
> implementations from a single vendor interoperating with each other)?

What if two TRILL campuses using the same private code point for
incompatible purposes are accidentally interconnected?

What if someone wants to use TRILL switches from two different vendors
each of which uses the same private code point for incompatible
purposes? Say one vendor makes highly flexible/desirable edge TRILL
switches while the other make particularly cost effective core TRILL
switches or particularly nifty Level 1 / Level 2 border TRILL
switches, or whatever.

"private" code points seem pretty flakey compared with the more robust
mechanism in this draft.

Maybe this document should also depredate the use of private code points.

> COMMENT:
>
> I agree with the Gen-ART reviewer that the text in the Acknowledgements
> section
> is not appropriate. See RFC 7322.

OK.

Thanks,