So what are you trying to say Andrew, that OpenOffice.org is large? Kind of like the Atlantic Ocean is deep. Besides OpenOffice, they included Gimp, Ice Weasel, PCFileMan plus several small utilities; no audio or video players and no games. The LXDE website references the Debian version, and although they included the heavyweight packages I wanted to try a version that was built for LXDE rather than start with a Gnome version and add LXDE (I hope the terminology is correct). I don't know how many residual Gnome things are still used if you start with something using Gnome as default (such as Ubuntu or Trisqeul), add LXDE, and then run an LXDE session.

Ubuntu is also developing an LXDE version called Lubuntu but I don't know the status of it.