Linux Mint (whose philosophy with regards to Software Freedom is completely on the opposite side of the spectrum than ours by the way) is based on Ubuntu, but now also provides a Debian-based version : LMDE. It's based on Debian Testing, and from what I understand, is supposed to provide the exact same look-and-feel to the end user than the Ubuntu-based versions. The main and important difference is that this is a rolling release : install it once and you'll never have to do it again! I suppose that you also get newer versions of the programs, at the cost of stability.