Just for the record, a XZ compressed archive (XZ achieves much better compression rates than RAR) can be split with the command, well, 'split'!

For instance, to create 1M chunks of a file (or a directory) named "banana":

$ tar -cJ banana | split -b 1M - banana_chunk

To then concatenate the chunks before decompressing, 'cat' can be used:

$ cat banana_chunk* | tar -xJO

The option O makes tar write to the standard output (i.e., in the terminal). You can redirect it to a file with '>' (e.g., 'cat banana_chunk* | tar -xJO > reconstructed_banana').

Although I never do that, I believe the graphical front-ends to 'tar' (FileRoller for instance) should provide splitting/concatenating if there is a need.