Ok, I'm gonna research this a bit. I found some stuff on Ubuntu forums and it looks like this is a issue that a few people have and there seem to be some solutions. One seems to be try using wicd (another wireless networking program to replace network-manager) or there may be others. It seems to be mostly affecting people with laptops w/ internal cards. I have a desktop which may be why I don't have a problem.

I'll look around and get back to you (may be tomorrow) but don't give up. Gotta be a way to fix this.