> Another question I have is do you think software or hardware is more
> important?

Software, since it's very difficult to modify or copy chips.

> The
> question for me is why persist so long using a system that will not
> release all its details or features to us as hackers? The tyranny of
> x86 is alive and well and I feel tethered to it because I can't do
> decent animation or graphics design without an x86 machine.

Replacing it needs different skills than writing free software and it's
probably not easily done with similarly small costs.

> The only other architecture that MAY work
> acceptibly is ARM, but I think there are similar freedom issues there
> ie it's just as secret. Plus there aren't many ARM laptops out
> there...

Is ARM better than MIPS for this?  GPUs might be a bigger problem
(Lemote machines known to support a free BIOS don't play videos well,
although lack of documentation is mostly not a reason for this).

> Perhaps you all here think that once you have Free Software all is
> solved though because spy and anti-features cannot be activated, not
> as easy to track, etc.

Free software doesn't solve all problems (e.g. it's easy to find
hacker-unfriendly non-GPL-compatible free software licenses), but it's
easier to do than solving some other important problems, some of which
currently need nonfree software.