If you're going to buy a 100% compatible laptop, run Trisquel. You'll get the exact same applications as Ubuntu, except for non-free stuff. Since your laptop will be 100% compatible, that's not a valid reason hardware-wise. The only reason I would use Ubuntu over Trisquel, all else being equal, is if I wanted a well integrated and themed Unity as default. I'm not saying Trisquel's Unity is bad, my point is just that Ubuntu's default DE is Unity whereas ours is not. Perhaps somebody who has used Unity with Trisquel can add some thoughts.

Stallman uses gNewSense on a Yeelong netbook (http://richard.stallman.usesthis.com/).