If people in the other side doesn't cipher your messages with, for example, OTR (interesting EFF post about it [1]), the protocol owners will know everything about your talks. But for ciphering they need to migrate from their last privative IM client to, for example, Pidgin, and it is practically as difficult as making a new jabber account and installing a new client. Also, to cipher talks can seem stupid for them, although be able of talking to you maybe not. But probably for you privacy is a big deal.

Today I decided to solve this problem. I wrote to all my (off-line) buddies telling that I'm going to leave MSN (spanish).

http://pastebin.com/QAd4QrjV

It links to a bigger message (due to space limitation of the message) (spanish):

http://pastebin.com/YryRMjQ7

Probably it only has less than 5% of effectiveness, but virtual life is not really so much important. It also steels you a lot of time.

Also I removed my google account that I had associated. I had to look for a tutorial, since it was no evident how to do it.[2]

[1] https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/09/open-source-security-auditing

[2] http://www.wikihow.com/Delete-a-Google-or-Gmail-Account