IMHO, we need more centralized efforts. Right now we have about 500 distros and most of them are exactly the same with a different feel, this makes new users confuse. Give a link to DistroWatch for a casual proprietary software user and you will see what I'm talking about. I was a distro hopper for a year and a half before settling to Trisquel. I have used at least 50 of DistroWatch's top 100. The problem is, different package manager needs the same porting again. So you have apt/yum/pacman/conary/pisi wars and all of them need different packagers for the same package. No repository right now is as big as Debian's. Another issue is porting to different architectures. Each distro (including a simple remaster) would need more people and more redundant effort to be ported to another architecture (PPC, SPARC, etc). In this sense I prefer to support Debian because it is "universal". It is the only distribution easy to use which has support for more than 6 different processor architectures and different kernels (kfreebsd and hurd). Debian fits on everything. Can be a server, rolling desktop, stable desktop, for Free Software enthusiasts like us (just disable the non-free repository and refuse to load the proprietary modules), serves for old computers, source based with build-dep, etc.

About the desktop environments, I am currently watching the Elementary Shell. They are using Vala which is more high level than C and has the same performance. Way easier to mantain than C (the language of all the other DE's, KDE uses C++ but is not the same thing). Their code is also cleaner and just "does the job".