On 03/03/12 17:36, Loic J. Duros wrote:
> Thought I'd give an opinion: I think Unity 3D and 2D is really good.
>
> I like Gnome shell as well, not so much the Gnome 3 fall-back... Or at
> least I certainly prefer Unity 2D to the fall-back.  The fall-back feels
> too much like a second thought to me.

I too like both Unity & Gnome 3 well enough.  Given they're both young
and still in need of tweaking.

IMHO if we want to make significant inroads into a near monopoly it is
not enough to have something better but similar, bold steps that might
go wrong have to be made.  Proprietary software vendors cannot replicate
free software's rate and diversity of evolution and that is a key
strength.  We have no idea which of the desktops and window managers the
future will finally pick, for example it could be LXDE because millions
of young children become used to it from something like the Raspberry
Pi.  The more candidates, and the more differentiated they are the better.

Unlike pets desktops are not for life.  Loic is quite right, try a
different one if you're not happy. At the very least you'll have some
evidence of what you actually do use a desktop for.  When I did I was
surprised to find that despite ~80%  of my time being spent in Emacs
there was an awful lot in a modern desktop that I considered essential.
 It was just in a lot of different little bits in the other 20%.

Leny