I was thinking of the ExoPC Slate (Intel Atom Pineview-M N450) with WeTab OS--sans the fan--which was based on Meego/Tizen--with work to remove the "non-free" parts.

The "short" battery life really isn't an issue for me. Eight hours sitting on the couch, plucking away at a tablet is more than enough. For some reason I just can't handle the fan, or I would have purchased it...that and one must buy Windows 7 with it in the US. ZaLinux doesn't even sell them with Ubuntu.

Isn't the real issue: the Free Software Foundation isn't having new hardware created for "free" software? Look at the state of the OpenMoko Project's hardware: the GTA04 project. This issue also reveals the real danger of Restricted Boot.

The ExoPC was released October 2010...and the really sought after hardware iPad 2 was released March 2011..yet not one truly "free" tablet has been released. There are the Android and webOS tablets that do use the Linux kernel, but proprietary drivers and graphical environments.

It really is a tough pill to swallow to go without using amazing hardware and support "free" software. I know RMS doesn't have a cell phone, because there isn't a "free" one. However, is someone with $900USD really going to go without when they can pick up an iPhone 4S today? The choice: lose-freedom or go without is much different than "free" or not "free".