I can second the experience of the guy who written the email. After learning a lot about GNU/Linux with other distros, I became a Trisquel user. It is a very good compromise between pre-made choices and possibilities to configure something on your own. Not to mention the huge software base you get with an Ubuntu-based distro and the main advantage of being 100% free software.

And compiling is always hard when the programmers used lots of different libraries that you need to link to during compilation. That's my main problem with compiling: after installing three packages and trying ./configure again and again, suddenly a version of a library is needed, that's not available for my version of the distro. That's when I purge all the bullshit I just installed, delete the source and start shouting angrily at my PC.