It also seems easy to code around if that's all it is.  There are lots of other
file system formats that are free.  And why any Linux-kernel-based device would
choose FAT32 for its default file format seems very odd to me.  I would expect
ext3 or ext4 to be used.  I wonder why that choice was made?

FAT32 could easily die on Linux devices.  People could use one of the likely
several FAT32-to-other free software file system converters which would change
everything on-the-fly without data loss, requiring only a reboot to then be
free from Microsoft's dominion.  It could probably be an app downloaded from
Google Play.

I would advise everyone to completely avoid any areas where there are patents
hinging over "standards" like this.  Flash, file systems, digital media formats
in general, all of it.  I don't care how widely in use it is, stop using it for
anything new, and begin changing it in every new version to support free and
open standards.  It profits nothing, except the patent holder, which means it
profits nothing.

In a physical device, it takes a long time to perfect it, get it working, and
then patent it.  And the replication of a physical device by another company is
a significant endeavor that can't be easily achieved.

The same is not true of software.  A brilliant developer could, off the top of
his head, write a few thousand lines of code in a short period of time, using
fundamental ideas to data manipulation within the given system (CPU,
motherboard, hardware devices), and probably half of those ideas he naturally
came to on his own by looking at the way the system was designed and is
implemented, trip over patents.

It shouldn't be like that for software.  Patents serve no purpose except to
hinder innovation, whereas the patent system was originally considered in the
U.S. Constitution, for example, to actually expand the sciences because it took
a real effort to produce a thing.  It's not true with software, and it takes
almost no effort to copy it, which means once something is known about,
everyone on the planet can get a copy of it without affecting the original in
any way, shape or form, within minutes.

Such a thing has never been possible in this world before.  Digital media is a
completely new creation, and it demands a completely new framework for how it's
governed.

I personally believe the physical / mechanical system which operates the
software should be the ONLY component patentable in a computer system, because
ONLY that device has limitations on use.  The software can be configured within
that system however it can be, but it is the machine itself that physically
executes it.

It's like trying to patent math.  A person could patent a calculator design,
but the idea of performing this computation, then this one, and actually
patenting that sequence of formula use, or number processing ... it's literally
insane.

The same is true for software.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin