You sent your message before I started mine, but you touched on some of my thoughts. I think that either something went bizerk and excluded the packages, they were removed for using software as a service, or some other accident.

I'm aware of the ethical issues with allowing a service to see my data, but I don't think it's sufficient enough (if this is what happened) to take away my ability to install and run the software. I want Ubuntu One so I can sync my books and classwork easily, and have a backup of them accessible anywhere. If I were to put personal data in it, I'd of course encrypt it.