I think the BIOS IS the OS for the low-end phones. There it not something else that the "BIOS" loads as a more advanced OS. It is like operating within the 'BIOS' like on that old Windows CE platform. There is a project called Jlime for Windows CE handhelds that uses a bootloader to take control of the hardware and boot from files stored on a Compact Flash card. I am guessing it would not be trivial to make something like that for any given phone model, especially those without external memory card slots. Then there is the issue of getting an OS into, say 1MB. So it would be a herculean effort even for someone actually skilled enough. I at this point would rather subvert what is already here. I am not saying the path of less effort is always preferred, but to spend years on something that is not super essential and can in essence be done now seems wasteful to me when there are higher priority projects.