I don't understand how you can make the claim that this community is unhelp. Even to non-free software proponents. Myself and others freequently state that this isn't the distribution of choice if you are going to use non-free software AND that there are other distributions which support such features / have a similar look/feel.

The distribution does not support non-fre software. If your goal is not to be free of non-free software than it makes no sense to use Trisquel. Trisquel has no major improvements that are unrelated to free software. The benefits of the UI are found in other distributions which DO support non-free software. I can name a few in particular that matchs Trisquel's UI and components (although won't as it is this communities policy of not supporting/promoting other distributions /w non-free softare).

There are benefits to this distribution on the other hand other other free distributions. Trisquel is easier to use and has more support for free software friendly hardware than many if not all of the other free distributions. This is in part due to freequent updates and it being based on Ubuntu.