A lot of users are seduced into running proprietary software, mostly at no fault of their own. Gnash and Flash alternatives are listed as high-priority projects for this reason.

I definitely have a lot of sympathy for Gumboman. I consider myself lucky because I uninstalled Flash over a year ago (while I was still using Windows) and I'm lucky because I never had a school that used it.

For YouTube, you can also use youtube-dl to watch without the non-free ActionScript.

Gumboman: many other devices, especially mobile devices, don't support Flash. If you do complain, I would recommend mentioning this. I would also recommend mentioning that Flash uses mostly secret/proprietary formats.

You shouldn't have to agree to a EULA belonging to a company for any education either.

Best of luck, whatever you do.