'm no fan of NVIDIA as they have not been good to GNU/Linux users. They cause all sorts of trouble. The reason older cards have support with the free driver is because of reverse engineering. The 9500GT is the best supported card using the free driver. It's good enough to get into the mainline kernel. That is impressive.,
The only graphics I'd recommend is Intel. They do a good job of supporting free software (graphics chipsets ONLY and only ones developed in house).,
AMD does a horrible job in the graphics department. You might say it was better than NVIDIA which offered no support, source code, or specifications although AMD doesn't provide enough information for any support on free systems either. It's all but worthless as far as I'm concerned. Camouflage for there proprietary garbage.