I misread you. I thought you simply had a lower resolution than possible. So just to be clear: you do not have anything graphical, right?

By Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1, you will be presented a terminal session where you can login (I believe the live system user is named "trisquel" and there is a blank password). From there, you can use 'nano' (available in the live system) to create and fill Xorg's configuration file:
$ sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

After saving and quitting (keyboard commands are written at the bottom of the screen), you can try to launch the graphical login manager again:
$ sudo service gdm start

If it replies that it has already been started, write "restart" instead of "start". You can try different configuration until succeeding.

You will probably want to take a look at Xorg's log to understand the issue:
$ less /var/log/Xorg.0.log