----- Mensaje original -----
> did no one so far thought to know what goes on behind the clicks?
> Looking     into sources is a straight forward approach, but highly
> inefficient for an     individual, considering the amount of code a DE has.
>
> Is there no book about this?

i might have miss understood your question, so bear with me.
i am thinking that it would be dependant of the language the program is written
in and the style o the programer. Some programs have a well documented wiki
with the source code or you could look for the command line instrucion within
the source code with a ctrl+f in gedit. If you can't find it then they probably
used some other means. For example c might have a way to do the same thing and
python another. But that should be found in the documentation help for each
language.