matt.i...@gmail.com writes:

> This could prove to be interesting. I'm always sceptical
> though. Personally I'd like to see flash go away in all its
> forms. That way there isn't some dev  team trying to always play catch
> up with the official flash releases. A  widely used open standard
> would be great.

There was [1][2][3] already similar, if not the same effort around
2010. It is called Gordon and it is a JavaScript implementation of SWF
decoder/runtime. Gordon is free software (MIT license). Since it's
release there are no changes in the repository [3] for unknown reason.

[1] http://www.sitepoint.com/gordon-javascript-flash-player/
[2] http://ajaxian.com/archives/gordon-flash-runtime-implemented-in-javascript
[3] https://github.com/tobeytailor/gordon