I must emphasise that I am not an authoritative source but from my hobby level work towards getting the Trisquel maintainer knowledges I can give some pointers as to what I'm using:

Firstly, the places to find out about .deb packaging are:

One of the following packages,

maint-guide - Debian New Maintainers' Guide
maint-guide-ca - Debian New Maintainers' Guide
maint-guide-es - Debian New Maintainers' Guide
maint-guide-fr - Debian New Maintainers' Guide
maint-guide-ja - Debian New Maintainers' Guide

And I think the following package

debian-policy - Debian Policy Manual and related documents

Maint-guide gives you a large reading list. On top of that for Trisquel you need to know

bazaar - http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/user-guide/
sed and awk - http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565922259.do
git - http://search.oreilly.com/?q=mastering+git&x=0&y=0
bash - http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/index.html and http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

The last two are needed for the latest version of the package-helper framework code. Package helpers themselves are still in a bazaar repo.

If you want to be a documenter, back at the release of 5.5 Rubén punted the requirement for updates to some docs. One was IIRC the Ubuntu Desktop Guide (package ubuntu-docs). I'd suggest you go to the Ubuntu Documentation Team's landing page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam and follow the links on System Documentation (for instructions on tool use) and Style Guide. You will probably be able to learn a working level of DocBook markup from the now out of date package

docbook-defguide - DocBook: The Definitive Guide - HTML version

OReilly do a more recent version of Docbook : The Definitive Guide for the latest version of DocBook if you have the money.

Since we don't appear to have any editors (as per the publishing job position) we might consider an alt system like fanfic uses.

For my own part I'm 4 out of >30 books or manuals in. I'm still able to triage a few bugs/issues when I have the time. Many reports haven't been researched first and one can locate upstream bugs quite easily. Others I can pull the source for from the Trisquel repo[1]. Reading and patching source takes less skill than programming the same software from scratch. So if you have knowledge of some language (C/C++ is the commonest), give it a go.

I pester SirGrant on IRC if I need an issue putting into a status I don't have authority for. But mostly he actions them in a manner appropriate to my update before I get around to that.

Leny

[1] I've puzzled out a sequence of 'apt-get build-dep' 'apt-get source --compile' then after I make any changes 'dpkg-buildpackage.' It's almost certainly not the best or the right way to do it, but it works for me.