I would expect them to mean

BATT_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND whenever you're on battery
LM_AC_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND on ac and laptop mode
NOLM_AC_BRIGHTNESS_COMMAND on ac and no laptop mode

the value is the number that controls the brightness

BRIGHTNESS_OUTPUT is /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

So, the brightness will still change but you can control to what it changes. On my laptop I cannot change brightness in software at all. The hardware remembers 2 values for brightness, one for ac and one for battery... You might want to check if there is some setting in BIOS, probably not.

And if you really want to go overboard, you could write a silly little script that would copy the current value of brightness somewhere every minute or so and then would set the new brightness to that whenever there is ac/battery change. Of course any brightness changes within the last minute would be lost. There wouldn't happen to be such a file already, like previous_brightness in the folder? :)

Or then you could try to see if you can catch the change when it happens by putting a very early and a very late script to power.d to see if they see different values, then you wouldn't need such a silly polling script and wouldn't have such a bad 1 minute retention. Donät expect this to work though but could be worth trying.