"wouldn't my BIOS system reject this card?"

Not necessarily, no. The BIOS whitelisting problem isn't that is
rejects all other cards, but that is rejects cards using a PCI ID
that's not contained within the whitelist. According to the
information at thinkwiki.org [0] there are some T42 models that came
with an Atheros card (the ones referred to in that page as the IBM
Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter things.) The bottom line is that, as
long as it's a genuine Lenovo part, then the PCI ID will be already
loaded in the BIOS and the BIOS will be happy.

That's what I did when I bought my X60s: I replaced the Intel WiFi
card that came with it with another one (an official Lenovo part) that
used an Atheros chipset instead.

[0] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T42