I've experienced this myself with an Nvidia card and an ATI card; I guess some of them just suck, not surprising since AMD doesn't fully cooperate and Nvidia doesn't cooperate at all with free software.

The obvious thing to try is a kernel update to the latest version of Linux-libre. If that doesn't work, you'll just need to either get a new card (http://libre.thinkpenguin.com sells a good one) or deal with the wrong resolution and hope it gets fixed in the future.

By the way, I don't see your card on h-node.org, so it would be cool if you could report it. :)