I really did not notice any catastrophe with Brigantia (although it was the first release since GNOME 3). I was personally using the GNOME Shell interface (which required 3D acceleration).

I believe the next STS (based upon Ubuntu 12.10) should be skipped. Starting its development now already is too late. Then, the pace could come back to the usual one. Focusing on LTS release would not bring them sooner. The development of Trisquel starts with the release of the related Ubuntu version. And, of course, anybody is free to to only update from LTS to LTS releases.