Okay, I'm not sure if this is a bug with drivers for my soundcard or not, but it seems like it could be. I've narrowed down a way to make mumble work everytime. If you open mumble and go to the Audio wizard, then on the second screen there is a check box for "Positional Audio". You un-check that, then re-check that and click next to go to the next wizard screen. At this point it will play test audio for you. If you don't un-check and re-check the "Positional Audio" box then mumble starts eating up your CPU and will hang.

The sound card on my Motherboard is an Intel 82801 High Definition Audio. Hopefully this will help someone else out if they ever run into the problem.