> I don't think there is any issue with basing a distribution off the Linux Mint Cinnamon edition which is based on Ubuntu. What the advantages of that might be now... I'm not sure. I think Cinnamon might be a good desktop environment to build off although I lack the knowledge as to what it would take to utilize it as a base.

If it's less buggy than GNOME Fallback Mode then it is good. ;-) Apparently Linux Mint introduces a few more proprietary packages than Ubuntu, although I can't imagine they would be too difficult to remove.

I haven't used Cinnamon or themed before, so I can't really comment on it. But reading online there seems to be a lot of positive comments on Cinnamon.