Nonfree Javascript games are just as nonfree as Flash; the only difference is that Javascript itself isn't nonfree. I really don't think steering kids toward nonfree Javascript games is the answer to anything.

I also don't really think the appeal of embedded games is to play the same games as others. There are tons of games that are cross-platform and not embedded in web pages; actually, I can't think of many free games that aren't. The appeal is probably that there are a huge amount of them, frequent new ones, and no (apparent) downloading, not to mention they're gratis. Of course, most free games I'm aware of, including all the ones in the repo, are gratis as well, and there are quite a bit of them, so whether or not these kids will be happy with the free games depends on how important the convenience and frequent new games are to them.