VNC can be used to access an X desktop using another machine, it doesn't
handle accelerated 3d graphics.  Another way is to use X over the
network, both solutions have some advantages.

There are many VNC servers, I don't know which ones to recommend.  (I
use also x11vnc, it has a different purpose: it shows a locally used
desktop.)

(I used remote X to access a higher resolution screen of a machine with
a modern GPU instead of the SiliconMotion graphics card of my laptop
that has bad VGA output quality and slow drivers.)